Wednesday, August 09, 2006

I Ran Into My US Representative Last Week

It's an election year, so the US Representative for my area (Gil Gutknecht) was at the county fair this last week. He was standing around the Milk Booth, and I couldn't pass up the opportunity to go and talk to him, especially since he voted for HR4411.

So I walked up to him and introduced myself. I told him that I was disappointed with his support of bill 4411. He looked at me with a confused, glazed over look and then turned to his "intern" (Who happened to be a good looking young blond chick. Are you surprised?) and asked her to refresh his memory what 4411 was. She didn't know, so I explained what bill it was.

So he asks, "So, are in favor of online gambling?" and I said that yes, I dabble a little bit in online poker. He then leaned in and looked me in the eye and asked, "So how much money are you in debt from online gambling?"

Ha, can you believe it? I chuckled a little bit and said that I am not in debt, and have actually made a little bit off of poker.

He then furiously wrote my name in a bright red notebook labeled "Evil Doers" under the tab "Aud...." He turned away before I could figure out what that said.

Anyways, I then told him that instead of banning online poker, wouldn't it make more sense to regulate the industry and create jobs and tax revenue from it?

He skirted away from the question and told me that the main purpose of that bill is to "Stop kids from getting a hold of credit cards and racking up massive amounts of debt".

I said that yes, that is a good idea, but outright banning online poker is not the solution and that regulating the industry and making it legal is the way to go.

He then went on to the next person and shook their hand and kissed some more babies. I do have to give him credit though for talking with me and listening to my concerns. I doubt it made much of a difference, but I think it was better than sending a letter and having some intern send me a form letter back.

Cheers!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home