Tuesday, September 23, 2008

+EV Hours

I was listening to a Cash Plays podcast the other day and Bart was talking about goals. He says that he doesn't set monetary goals, but sets goals of playing a certain amount of "+EV Hours". He says that if you set a monetary goal, it could possibly force you to play when the conditions are not ideal. If you are tired or tilting, or if the games are tough, it just doesn't make sense to play. More than likely, you'll end up losing money then.

I was reminded of that podcast this weekend when Sunday night came along. I hadn't played poker all weekend, and thought that I should sit down and play a little poker. But I was tired, and really didn't feel like playing. So why play? I shouldn't play just to "get in the hands". I should play when I'm feeling good and at the top of my game. I think that is why I like playing in the morning before going to work. I'll get up a little early, take a shower, make some coffee, and play a little poker before going to work. I'm rested and relaxed, with whole day ahead of me.

Usually Monday mornings are not the best conditions on the poker tables. It's early in the week, and most of the casual poker players don't play on Mondays. But this Monday morning, I was fortunate enough to find a table with a Mega-donk. A Mega-Donk from Italy even. That is one reason I like to play in the mornings, especially Friday and Saturday mornings. The Euro Fish come out in full force. Mornings for me, is late afternoon for them. No offense to you folks out there across the pond, but my ideal table would have players from Ireland, Norway, Italy, Germany, and any of the other European countries. They like to gamble, that is for sure.

Unfortunately, I didn't get any of this donks money because I had to leave for work. But, in one hand, he limps PF. Some other guy with about $400 in his stack raises to $10 and the donk calls. Flop is Ace high and donk leads out for $250 in the $20 pot. Other guy pushes, and it is only $100 more to call, but he folds. huh?

This morning was a little bit different in that I didn't find too many good Hold 'em tables. So I fired up a few 0.50/1.00 Pot Limit Omaha tables. I might have to start playing PLO a little more, because in about 20 minutes, I won two buy-ins.

*****************************************

The family and I headed up to the Minnesota Renaissance Fair on Sunday. I hadn't been there in a while, but it was a lot of fun. The kids got to do a lot activities there. We did Rock Climbing, The bungee jumping trampoline, Self propelled giant swings, Jacob's Ladder, face painting, and mask making. Tons-o-fun. And of course, the good food.

*****************************************

Add me to the camp that is really liking the new Metallica album. This album brings us back to the good 'ole days of some rifftastic Metallica music. If you've ever purchased a Metallica Album before, you should definitely check it out.

Cheers!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home