Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Back from Texas

I'm back from Texas after being there for 4 days to attend NI week. The conference was really good and I learned a lot. The weather was pretty hot on Monday and Wednesday, with it reaching into the hundreds. Tuesday was nice because it sprinkled a little bit and was cloudy.

The food in Austin was excellent. On Monday I ate at Roux, which used to be Jazz. I ate at Jazz when I was in Austin 8 years ago and had the best catfish that I've ever had. I was looking forward to going back there and getting it again, but ownership had changed. I had Red Fish on Asparagus and it was delicious.

Tuesday I ate at Moonshiners and had a steak. Again, it was very good. I forgot to take a picture until I was almost done with my steak. Mmmmmm.

And on Wednesday, I ate at Stubbs and had their BBQ Brisket with Fried Okra and Mashed Potatoes. I was expecting a pretty spicy BBQ sauce, but it was nice and mild.

I think I found a new favorite beer while I was down in Texas: Shiner Boch. Hopefully they sell it up here in Minnesota.

It's nice to be back though. Travel was pretty crappy. We got delayed in Rochester when our plane didn't arrive on time. Then, we finally got on the plane and we sat on the runaway for 25 minutes. I'm not sure what the heck happened, but in Rochester, they only have a total of about 10-15 commercial flights leave per day. It's not like we were in a long line to get on the runaway. All of that led to us missing our connecting flight in Chicago by 5 minutes. When we got to our drop off gate, the new plane was still there. We got off and hoofed it to the other wing, but it was gone when we got there. So we all got stand by tickets for the 9:55 flight (5 hours later). If we missed this one, it wouldn't be until noon the next day before we could get out of there. Luckily, we were able to get on the 9:55 flight. Thank God, because the Chicago Airport sucks.

On our way back home, we almost missed our connecting flight from Chicago back to Rochester because they changed the gate on us without saying anything over the loud speaker. I was in the bathroom when I heard the Final boarding call. WTF?


Because of my trip, and my lack of interest in poker lately, it had been 9 days with no poker. That is by far the longest time without playing poker in 3 years. I've played a little at 100NL since I've been back, but only about 800 hands. I'm up a huge $10! Of course, I'm already down a buy-in in EV, so my luck hasn't turned around yet. My three biggest losing hands are: Another KK loses to AA all-in PF; Over pair getting beat by donk who hits gutshot. 3-bet pot with TPTK and he having TP 3rd kicker. I'm going to stick it out at 100NL for a while.



At 7:45 PM , Blogger OhCaptain said...

Sounds like the food was awesome. I've never been to Texas. Mookie & IT would be so proud :-)

You bringing that beer with you Friday?

At 6:05 PM , Blogger RaisingCayne said...

Sounds like a good time, (albeit the 5 hour wait for a flight you almost still missed is a horrible travel ordeal.) GL getting back into your poker groove.


Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home