Thursday, June 12, 2008

3 Years

3 years ago this week was when I first deposited money onto an online poker site. That site was PokerStars, and I deposited $50. A month or so earlier, I had gotten into poker from seeing it on TV and reading about the World Series of Poker. I started playing some play money games soon after that at PokerStars.

After a while, as I was learning the game, I got sick of playing with fake money. The players there wouldn't take it seriously, so it became harder to learn anything from playing. So I convinced myself to deposit $50 and play some of the microstakes. I told myself and my wife that that would be the only money I would deposit online. When it was gone, I'd move onto something else. I've stayed true to that, and other than another $50 deposit when I opened up my Neteller account, I haven't had to deposit another dime from my pocket.

I've come a long way. I started out playing nickel/dime limit Hold 'em and $5-6 Sit-n-gos. I came close to going busto a few times, but for the first couple months, my roll fluctuated between $25 and $125. Then I stated to take this game a little more seriously, studied, and improved my game.

It's funny looking back at my very first post made in August of 2005 when I started a journal over at Bet-the-pot.com. Here is the link.

I've come a long ways, and I would have to say that my poker playing has been pretty successful up to this point.

***************************************

No concrete plans have been made yet as far as WSOP and Vegas. I've pretty much ruled out playing in the Main Event due to one big obstacle: vacation. I just started this new job at the beginning of the year, so I get crap for vacation. I burned up every hour on our trip to Florida, and as of right now, I have only 2 days of vacation built up. That won't cut it in order to play in the Main Event.

So right now we are looking into going one of the next two weekends and play in a Friday event. Our local airport has direct flights to Vegas on Thursdays and Sundays, but the Thursday flights don't get into Vegas until 2:30, which is too late to play in any Thursday events. I'm bummed about that, because the Thursday events would be perfect for me to play in. We'll see though.

Cheers!

2 Comments:

At 2:13 PM , Blogger OhCaptain said...

Congrats on 3 years and the nice run!

 
At 4:40 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Here's to the next 3 years!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home