Thursday, January 15, 2009

Mook Win And Some Home Game Fun

Wednesday night was last night, so that meant Tournament Poker! Sadly, I only cahsed in one of the seven MTTs I played, but that one was The Mookie, and I won! That's like my 2nd or 3rd Mookie win. Woot!
Here is a short recap.

I won my first big pot during the first hour when I 3-bet TripJax with A9o. He called and the flop came Ace high. I decided to check figuring that not many hands continue that I beat. TripJax checked behind, and then the turn came a 9. Now I knew for sure that I was ahead, and I led out for half pot. He raised and we got it in and I doubled up against his AK.

I won another nice pot against MiamiDon when I limped with A5s and the flop was Q55. Earlier in the day, I read Ed Miller's latest article about playing pots on really dry, paired boards. Go check it out, it's really good.

Nothing much happened for the next hour or so until I doubled up through lucko. My JTo pwned his AK all-in PF. EZ game. I even got to knock out Hoy a few hands later with AT vs KJ.

Down to two tables, it wasn't long before getting into another all-in pot. This time it was 3 way action with AK vs AK vs AA all-in PF. Flop was King high, the turn gave me a flush draw, but alas, I did not suck out. Curse Ye Poker Gods!! Nothing too exciting after that. At the final table I just stole like crazy and then I won with JJ vs AT, knocked out Numbette with KQ vs QT on a Q high flop, etc... While 4 handed, I had a huge lead and never gave it up. Breeze81 played well during heads up play, but I finally won with Q8 vs J8 on an 8 high flop.

*********************************

Last Saturday night, my wife and I headed over to OhCaptain's house for some home game fun in his Coed Invitational. I even unpacked my brand new Full Tilt Retro Bowling Shirt for the occasion. It was very fun and interesting, as I was seated right next to my wife. She had position on me and was looking forward to knocking me out. She thinks she can read me perfectly (she can) and be able to pick off all of my bluffs (I never bluff). She actually did pretty well for it being her 2nd time ever playing poker (with the first being about a year ago). She made a really good play with pocket Aces about an hour in. She was UTG and limped with pocket aces. A shorter stack in middle position went all-in, and I pushed myself from the BB with AQ. Obviously my wife called (I had her covered) with the aces, and they held up.

As we got to the final table (20 started, with 4 making the money), and my wife had a lot of chips. There were two other women, and the three of them were knocking us guys out left and right. Finally the bubble burst and the three ladies were the last ones standing (I went out in 4th, thank you very much). She eventually busted in 3rd place outlasting me and proving that she is the best poker player in our house. Hmmm, I think I am going to have to con her into playing a heads up freeze out to regain the title. How about a little Omaha Hi/Lo? Heh heh.

Here is a picture stolen from OhCaptain of the final six people. I'm on the far left and my wife right across from me.

Good times. I even got to meet Gentleman Jim as he drove up to OhCaptain's from Iowa!

******************************

As far as other poker goes, I'm doing ok. Nothing to great. I'm up a couple buy-ins while I clear the Full Tilt end of the year bonus. I actually moved down to 100NL for a little while and tried my hand at 8 tabling, but I'm back playing 200NL now.

Oh, and BTW, it was -24 degrees this morning when I woke up. That is NEGATIVE 24. Yikes, that's cold.

Cheers!

Labels:

4 Comments:

At 4:16 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congrats on title #2.

 
At 10:11 PM , Blogger OhCaptain said...

Congrats dude! Glad my encouragement worked!

And congrats to the Mrs. for cashing in probably the toughest poker tournament in this voting precinct!

Bourbonators tomorrow night?

 
At 8:25 AM , Blogger TripJax said...

nice win. i love being the guy who donks the initial chips that start the ultimate pwnage.

well done.

 
At 5:33 PM , Blogger Shrike said...

Belated congrats on second Mookie win.

It gives me more motivation to reach win #3.

I'm jealous that you can play home games with OhCaptain, but not of your cold weather!

-PL

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home